Our Name Change – What Do You Think?
It hasn’t been an easy decision to make but I think that we need to change our name from ‘The Organic Natural and Whole Food Emporium’ to ‘Jozi Real Food’.
Organic Emporium has been an exciting journey and as it’s progressed and we’ve gone along with it, it has become apparent that ‘organic’ as a label has had its limitations. Organic as a farming philosophy is a superior form of farming that works to build up soil fertility to protect land for future generations, to grow fresh nutrient dense produce working with natures systems without polluting the health of all life including our own through the use of pesticides and artificial fertilizers. It is a superior farming philosophy that mimics nature to grow great food, using methods like crop rotation and minimal till and mulching and natural soil fertility methods.
Organic farming will always be my first love and I will never sell anything from a farm that doesn’t farm organically in principle.
There are so many other values though that are as important in the much needed food revolution.
- It is as important to get people to buy from local farms in the green revolution.
- It is as important to support small farms who aren’t certified but who are farming non commercially and without pesticides and artificial fertilizers.
- It is as important to support farmers who are grazing animals on natural pasture and not using gm. supplement feed.
- It is as important to support farmers who are treating animals humanely and who treat them respectfully and ethically.
- It is as important to support the real food artisan, the small producer, the butchers and bakers and non-industrial and non-corporate true food craftsmen using traditional methods.
- It is as important to teach people how to cook with real, whole ingredients.
- It is as important to give people better convenient options for quick food that isn’t refined, adulterated with additives and preservatives and processed.
As the journey has progressed, Organic Emporium has broadened in scope and identity from a very niched, small customer base of dedicated activists into a larger movement able to represent more farms who are making a difference and talk to more people in mainstream communities.
That’s why I believe the change of name to Jozi Real Food is a great thing for us.
I’d love to hear your views on this, particularly if you’ve been with us since conception and been affected by this journey directly.
We are going to have a new logo and identity, new website and new blog shortly that reflects this new identity.
Any great brand designers out there – please get hold of me – it’s going to be fun.
As a loyal and long-term customer – how do you feel about the change?
Please let me know.